Start your production in Cambodia.
Unleash the potential of Cambodia's manufacturing industry.
ince 2000, the MSEZ team has successfully understood industry demands and assisted manufacturers in establishing various production facilities in Cambodia.
With over two decades of industry experience, we have gained a profound understanding of the country’s strengths, challenges, and the industry’s demands.
Enter the procedure
A process of 2-3 months
Tips and guidelines
Analysis and evaluation
You need to conduct a comprehensive analysis of the investment environment, including the availability of raw materials, infrastructure, and production costs.
You will also need to assess the suitability and cost-effectiveness of investment products and Cambodian policies.
Finally, you will need to identify potential investment locations and conduct on-site inspections of production sites and the surrounding environment to determine their suitability.
Newly established businesses must register with the Ministry of Commerce (MoC) in Cambodia. If all documents meet the requirements, the registration permit will be issued within approximately 10 working days. In Cambodia, businesses generally take on several forms, including the following.
- Companies established in Cambodia.
- Subsidiaries of overseas companies in Cambodia.
- Representative offices of overseas companies in Cambodia.
Online Business Registration by the Ministry of Commerce
The Ministry of Commerce launched online business registration services starting from January 4, 2016.
Please visit KPMG’s Cambodia Investment Guide for more information.
You need to prepare the necessary documents for the investment application.
For individual investments, consult the Cambodian Investment Review Committee (CDC) to identify suitable land and factories, and then prepare the required documentation according to CDC’s regulations.
For joint ventures, search for partners in Cambodia, engage in negotiations, and sign a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU).
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Land Factory Building
Currently, there are three land leasing and sales models in the Manhattan Economic Zone:
- Short-term leasing, with different prices based on lease duration and site area.
- Long-term leasing for fifty years, with the option for obtaining a ‘Long-term Lease Certificate’ issued by the Cambodian National Land Agency (preferred by clients).
Transfer is possible, but the application must be made within two years from the date of signing.
The lessee of land under a 50-year lease agreement can apply for local loans based on the ‘Long-Term Lease Certificate,’ with an annual interest rate of 8%-9%.
- Water fee: $0.15 per cubic meter.
- Management fee: $0.05 per square meter per month, electricity fee: $0.137 per (KWH).
Cambodia has lenient environmental laws, and currently, there are no specific regulations restricting polluting industries. The Manhattan Economic Zone has its own wastewater treatment plant to ensure compliant sewage discharge. Additionally, the Zone outsources solid waste management to qualified companies to handle solid waste in compliance with regulations. For example, there is a textile dyeing and finishing factory within the Manhattan Economic Zone that has been operational for 13 years since its establishment in 2010.
- General Workers: The median age in Cambodia is 25.6 years (compared to China’s median age of 38.4 years), with the population under 40 years old accounting for 75% of the total population. (See Appendix 3: Cambodia Population 2022)
- The Manhattan Economic Zone is located in densely populated Kandal Province, with nine industrial zones and over 100,000 people employed. There is a monthly turnover rate of 5%-7%, which means 5,000-7,000 people require new job placements. These individuals are experienced workers from garment, footwear, and Christmas light factories. (See Appendix 4: Recruitment event for Kingmaker Shoe Factory within the industrial park)
- Clerical Staff: Kandal University is located 33 kilometers away from the Manhattan Economic Zone. It offers majors in English, accounting, management, and other disciplines. It produces over 600 graduates annually and maintains close cooperation with the Manhattan Economic Zone.
- Translation: Currently, there are over 100 Chinese educational institutions in Cambodia, with over 100,000 students enrolled (the Manhattan Economic Zone can provide recruitment support services).
- Salary: The Cambodian government has set the minimum monthly basic salary for employees at $200 for the year 2023.
- Benefits: $41 ($13 transportation allowance + $13 food and accommodation allowance + $10 attendance bonus + $5 health allowance).
- Social security: Average of $9 per person per month.
- Overtime pay: 1.5 times the regular rate for overtime on weekdays, 2 times for overtime on Sundays, and 3 times for overtime on public holidays (Cambodia follows a single day off on Sundays).
- Amidst the US-China trade war, the United States imposed an additional 25% tariff on Chinese export products, while Cambodia remains unaffected.
- Cambodia enjoys zero or lower-than-most-favored-nation tariff rates when exporting to China, South Korea, and Japan.
- Cambodia benefits from quota-free and duty-free access when exporting to Europe and America. For specific import tariff rates based on product HS codes, please refer to the client portal for further information.
- Cambodia enjoys zero tariffs on imports and exports, as well as a 6-9 year exemption from corporate income tax. (Please refer to Appendix 5 for more details on major taxes and tax rates in Cambodia.)
For detailed information, please refer to the” Cambodia Tax Guide 2023.”
Shipping Fees Trade
20-foot container: $950
40-foot container: $1100
20-foot container: $1050
40-foot container: $1200
Cambodia is designated as a TAA (Trade Agreements Act) country (excluding China, Vietnam, and Thailand). According to the Trade Agreements Act, products supplied to the U.S. government by GSA Schedule qualified suppliers must be either U.S.-made or manufactured in designated countries, and Cambodia falls under the category of designated-country end products.
Companies submit their registration applications to the Council for the Development of Cambodia (CDC) for approval. The CDC offers a one-stop service for registration, and the process is typically completed within 45 days.
Building Manhattan Economic Zone 2.0, encompassing commercial, residential, medical, and educational centers, as well as a brand-new high-tech enterprise park guided by ESG principles and carbon reduction goals.